When we use the word “Digital Marketing”, we are actually referring to online marketing efforts from a brand.
Therefore, if you are asking what is Digital Marketing (DM), here is your answer:
This is a practice in Business through which advertising messages are delivered through online channels such as websites, mobile apps, search engines, social media and emails. It helps a brand generate interest in their products among their consumers.
Though DM started gaining popularity in the year 2000. In the last couple of years it has revolutionised marketing communication.
In a real sense:
It is brand messaging (Advertisements) delivered through electronic channels such as Television, Radio, Internet etc. Electronic channels generate, store and transmit data in the series of the number 0 or 1.
It can happen both Online and Offline.
If the above is true, then
It existed ever since Guglielmo Marconi sent first wireless signals in 1896.
Isn’t that crazy!
However, the simple definition of DM does not say enough about the practice of digital marketing in today’s world.
This meaning is useless as technology is just the enabler of digital marketing. So let us understand what exactly digital marketing is?
What is Digital Marketing in Today’s Context?
In today’s context:
It is a set of interactive marketing promotion activities which are done online. These activities help an individual or organization reach its target audience and achieve its business & financial objectives.
Therefore when we say digital marketing, we are essentially referring to Online Digital Marketing.
The other form of DM is offline digital marketing, which happens on other electronic devices such as Radio or Television.
I know you are not here to read about radio or TV, so I will spare you (though I have invested millions of dollars on Offline marketing during my career).
Going forward in this article when I say “DM”, I am actually referring to “Online Digital marketing”, as that is what you intend to read here, right?
- It is a set of marketing activities and not just one activity.
- It is Interactive and not just one way. It enables two-way communication and is much more engaging compared to the other marketing methods. Interactivity is what distinguishes it from advertising on Television, which is also electronic but not interactive.
- It happens online. What it essentially means is that the activity is carried out on the Internet or telecom networks. Though it happens online, it can empower both the virtual or offline world. An example of DM in the virtual or online world is email marketing or social media marketing or search engine marketing. In the colloquial sense when we say digital marketing we refer to virtual or online marketing only. An example of this in the offline world is the use of tablets to showcase product offerings at a retail store.
- It helps an individual or organization. It is useful not only for large companies but also for individuals as well, unlike TV or newspaper advertising. One can take advantage of digital advertising on small budgets as well.
- It helps reach and engage the target audience. It is focused, and one can use multiple targeting methods to reach their audience.
- It helps achieve business and financial objectives. It is measurable & ROI driven. It helps achieve business & financial goals.