Social Media Marketing and Champagne have a lot in common. Oddly enough, in researching Champagne, one finds some interesting similarities between good Champagne and a good Social Media Marketing program.
Champagne is a symbol of “the good life.” It’s for celebrations, anniversaries, holidays and everything in between. Social Media has taken over small businesses marketing programs and when done well, it too is a symbol of “the good life” as social media can help a business’s bottom line.
Here are 10 similarities between good Champagne and good social media.
1. Champagne is unique; there is nothing else like it. This is the same with your own social media marketing program. Be unique; set you and your brand apart.
2. Champagne became renowned because of its association with French kings. European Royalty marketed the message of the sparkling wine from Champagne and hence its association with luxury and power. With this type of marketing, you have the opportunity to be the “royalty” in your niche. Speak with authority; show that you are a leader in your field. Market what you know and have a sound strategy.
3. Champagne is a toast to optimism. That’s what makes social media different from traditional media. It too is quite optimistic. This type of marketing highlights the good, the happy and the successes.
4. Scientists suggest that there should be 49 million bubbles in every bottle. This fact is not of any particular worth, other than it is a really interesting fact to throw in ~ something to mention when you have your next glass of Champagne.
5. When opening a bottle of Champagne, the sheer pressure inside the bottle can cause the cork to shoot into orbit. When you do social media right, you too can experience the explosion of the cork as your message goes viral. What a wonderful feeling that is!
6. What is your unique flavor profile? There is a range of sweetness levels in Champagne. Each producer creates a unique flavor profile. Consider this as you write your posts – while you might be communicating items that others have already covered, by using your unique flavor profile you can give your post a twist that no one else can.
7. What is your style? Are you choosing “light and crisp” or “rich and creamy?” These are the two “styles” of Champagne. You might think of “light and crisp” as lots of little posts covering a variety of topics. “Rich and creamy” could be more in-depth, more exploratory.
8. Everyone knows Champagne ages well. Your social media marketing should age just as well. A good program will serve you well for a very long time. The process to make Champagne is neither quick nor easy. It’s time consuming from start to finish – a lot of thought and experience has been put into the process. It’s important that you run your program the same way. While this type of marketing will not cost you a lot of money, if done well, it will cost you a lot of your time, especially in the beginning. But the time put in will pay off in the long run!
9. In France there are 17 villages that have been honored with the title of Grand Cru, while 40 villages share the title of Premier Cru. It’s the village, not the individual vineyard, which receives the designation. Social media success comes from being part of a community, your niche. It requires the building of relationships and connecting with others. By being an active member of your community you will reap the marketing rewards that this type of marketing can bestow.
10. The making of good Champagne requires an extraordinary amount of effort and skill – from selecting the grapes and blending the wines (most Champagnes are blends) to fermenting it twice to aging it for at least a year and a half. It does not happen overnight. Success in social media does not happen overnight either. In the beginning it is not easy, there is a learning curve and you need to have the passion to make it happen. You have to put out the effort.
Those who make Champagne are passionate about the process they use. They are prepared to invest their time, impart their knowledge and work their hardest to make sure they provide the world with a wonderful product. Just like good Champagne, when done well your social media program will sparkle and you too, will have the opportunity to enjoy the success of this type of marketing program.