Making mistakes is human and part of the learning process. But to succeed in your business, you need to be aware of those small business marketing mistakes so that you do not fall prey to them. When you run an advert, you expect good returns. That’s the reason why you are in business. But in the quest of getting the returns, many online marketers make small business marketing mistakes and end up blowing their money and getting disappointed.
To succeed in business, you have to market your products. Marketing is what you do to communicate to both your existing and potential customers. If you are spending money on marketing your business, it is important that you know what works and what doesn’t. It’s important to avoid falling prey to the following small business marketing mistakes.
1. Doing too much too quickly when making mistakes. Most people expect to get returns so quickly that they end up doing so many activities that do not work for them. Many online marketers, especially new ones, fall victim to this common small business marketing mistake.
2. Wasting money, energy and time repeating what doesn’t work. As an online marketer, you need to spend your valuable resources on sustainable marketing strategies that will work best for you.
3. Not knowing what works and what doesn’t to make informed decisions. Spending money blindly without getting to know what marketing strategy works may not only waste your resources, but can also lead to disappointment. I therefore advise online marketers to get good information and the know-how by visiting forums, where experienced marketers discuss various marketing strategies.
4. Not keeping good record of your customers’ contacts. As a serious online marketer, you need to keep a record of your customers’ contacts for easy follow-up.
5. Not giving a genuine reason for someone to buy from you. People naturally do not want to be sold to. When a customer buys your product, it’s not the product per se that brings him/her to your business. It’s the satisfaction he derives from using that product. You have to provide him with that invincible satisfaction to continue buying from you.
6. Thinking that business will come to you. This is one of the commonest small business marketing mistakes many affiliate marketers make. After signing up for a program, they sit back thinking that things will work out by themselves. That’s not how it is. You must spend your time every day developing your business. Additionally, you must spend some money in order to make money.
7. Untargeted attempts to generate traffic. Use proven marketing strategies to drive targeted traffic to your website or blog.
8. Jumping from one failed idea to another without stopping to think. A serious online marketer will always track the progress of each marketing strategy. By so doing, you get to know what works well and what doesn’t other than jumping from one idea to another.
9. Relying on only one or two methods of generating business, is one of the small business marketing mistakes amateur online marketers make. To drive traffic to your website requires applying several proven methods.
10. Having your marketing plan in your head other than having it written down. Write your plan down and follow it systematically to produce good results and to spend your resources wisely.
11. Making poor decisions about what to invest in is another small business marketing mistake many affiliate marketers make. Get to invest your time and money on programs that will bring returns.
12. Claiming that you have no time to do the marketing. Online marketing requires a lot of time. If you think you can’t find that quality time, then you better leave the marketing business. I spend at least 3 hours every day on marketing.
13. Believing that you do not have marketing skills. We all have some skills but we only have to improve on them through learning. Read and participate in forums to better your skills.
14. Thinking that online marketing is complicated. There is nothing easy. Making money has never been easy. Online marketers, who make money, persist a lot. There is nothing impossible because the word “IMPOSSIBLE” simply means “I’m possible”. Develop in mind a positive perception about online marketing, you will enjoy and find it easy.